View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet
Species: Demigod
Godly parent: Athena

PostSubject: Was that a horse?   Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:00 pm

((Okay, the first one was crappy and such, and I didn't like it, so take two!))

For most demigods, playing around with colored blocks on maps might not be the most fun thing to do, but Sophie always enjoyed herself. She could always lose herself in her strategies for a couple hours, and reality was usually wiped from her mind until she was done. So much happened when you were a demigod, so it was quite odd for Sophie to imagine she’d be bored a lot this winter. But she wasn’t going to wait lazily for spring to come again, Sophie planned on being productive. Work with her dagger, meet some new people, and come up with a variety of strategies to show Clove when she came back (if she came back). Idleness was not good for Sophie, so when she found herself just staring at the map, a bit lost, she decided that was enough for a day. Overworking the mind did no favors, either.

Rolling up the maps, and putting them away neatly, Sophie did the same with the little blocks. Then she stopped, leaning on the table she’d been using for support, wondering where to go now. She peeked at the clock, then out the window. It was about 3:30, and thankfully, the sky showed no signs of darkening. The sun was out, which promised warmth, but Sophie was still pretty it was cold outside. That was New York, with its varying temperatures. Still, it was going to be getting dark soon, and Sophie wanted to take advantage of the light before it left. Maybe read a good book. She could always do it in the Athena cabin, of course, but she didn’t want to be holed up for the winter, and get cabin fever. This led to her deciding to stay outside, until it started getting really cold. Hopefully not for a while.

Sophie paced over to one of the bookshelves the Athena cabin promoted. Running her hand along the spines of the books, Sophie aimlessly looked for an interesting cover. Ah, here was one. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Sophie had read it many times, but it was one of her favorite of the series. Why not? Sliding the book out of the shelf, Sophie held it with both hands. She’d forgotten how big some of the books were. But that wasn’t a problem. Tucking her chosen book under one arm, Sophie debated taking anything else. No, she’d be fine. Just some quiet reading time in what would soon be Sophie’s idea of one of the coldest places on earth. Of course, she’d been raised with year-long good weather, but she had hoped she’d be used to this by now. She’d definitely have to, if she was going to stay in camp year-long, for who knows how many more years. After deciding she was ready to go, Sophie pulled open the door, and walked out for her target place: the amphitheater.

Not too many people were outside, so Sophie didn’t stop to say hi. She’d lost track of many of her friends recently, and wasn’t sure if they’d left, or Sophie hadn’t been looking hard enough. To be honest, she didn’t really like either option. But she put it out of her mind, and instead looked over the book as she walked. She really did try to keep every book in good condition, but sometimes accidents happened. Or a demigod would want to read a book, and didn’t see it the way Sophie did. This was one of those books. From the outside, it looked alright, but the inside was spotted with crumbs of different varieties, and some of the pages were ripped.

Her arrival at her destination pulled Sophie out of her thoughts. During the summer, it was usually packed with kids doing everything from dancing to playing music, and anything else. Now, of course, it was nearly empty. There were still some Apollo kids playing guitar and such, but they had it toned down. Sophie ignored them, and made a beeline for her own little corner of the amphitheater. She sat down, and opened the book to a random page. And so she began reading, and remained that way for a while. In general, when Sophie started doing something, she lost track of time. But that happened to most demigods. She stopped when she heard something she hadn’t expected to hear: the clip clop of hooves. Had a satyr walked in? Were there some demigods with horses? Sophie peeked over the top of her book, trying to locate the source of the noise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiron
Canon

Character sheet
Species: Centaur
Godly parent: N/A

PostSubject: Re: Was that a horse?   Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:25 am

Chiron just had to do something else.. He just had a meeting with the Cabin Leaders.. It had been a long meeting. There was always something that the demigods wanted to fight about.. This time, a daughter of Aphrodite was insulting a Hephaestus kid.. Dionysus had been bored during the meeting and made random goblets of wine spawn. After Chiron reminded him about that habit, mr D. turned them into Diet Coke and drank them all.. Chiron silenced the 2 demigods and made them apologize.. They didn't really mean it, but at least they did it.. After a few hours of meeting it finally over and Chiron wanted to do something else..

He decided to walk around camp, to see walk what was going on. He stepped out of his magic wheelchair and walked to the Armory, where he gave some new kids a few weapons to try out and left them in the hands of a son of Ares. He continued. He walked to the Cabins and talked with demigods. A satyr also asked for advice about something small. Smiling, he gave to young satyr his answer. Chiron avoided the stables.. He hated that place. Not because of the horses and pegasi, but because of all the insults he had to take in the thousands of years he lived. Horseguy, Horsy, filthy half-human and much, much more.. Mark galloped back to the Big House, to his own chambers and took his bow and arrows. To Chiron, the bow and arrow were his favorite. The elegance of that combination was just.. perfect. Swords and spears did not even get close to that! They were good weapons, he knew, but not his kind of weapons. Besides, He did not really have the body for quick dodging. And Chiron fought like a human warrior, not like a horse.. At least.. he'd rather not. He hated the fact that he had to use his swords in the Titan War.. but at least he did not have to fight like a horse...

After he picked up his bow and arrows, he walked towards the shooting range to shoot some arrows, but Chiron heard some music coming from the amphitheater. Distracted by the music he walked into the amphitheater to listen to it. When walking into the amphitheater Chiron took a look around. Apollo-kids making some music and people relaxing from their training. They deserved it. Every demigod worked really hard.. Take Sophie for instance. She loved war-strategy and reading. Like the book she was reading.. Harry Potter.. Written by a daughter of Hecate.. She really is a good writer, Chiron had to admit. He met her when she was 12 years old, when she entered Camp because a old satyr found her by accident. Her interest in magic came from her mother, the Goddess of Magic. He turned to Sophie, who was looking at him. "Sophie, did you know J.K. Rowling also is a demi-god?"

((sorry.. not my best.. will be better though))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Was that a horse?   Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Hiding behind the book, Sophie peeked over the top to see what was happening. The Apollo guys were still going, but someone new had entered. Sophie’s eyes widened when she realized it was Chiron, one of the top guys around camp. She knew him, of course. As a cabin leader, there were meetings a lot, but Sophie never really did much there. The things they talked about were petty, and not worth arguing about. But Sophie didn’t focus too much on that, or that Chiron usually had to stop fights between demigods as if they were children. Well, they kinda were, but that wasn’t the point. He had his bow and arrows with him, so he had probably been headed towards the arena. Well, he’d probably be on his way soon. It wasn’t like Sophie didn’t like him, but being around people who had priority around her made her a bit nervous. It was like talking to your boss, in a way. Not the most relaxed conversation. Then there was the fact that Chiron had basically seen everything you could possibly imagine, so it was a bit like talking to a teacher as well. That wasn’t a bad thing, either. Still, when he stopped in front of Sophie, her heartbeat increased a little. Had she done something wrong?

When Chiron spoke, making a comment about the book, Sophie resisted breathing a sigh of relief. Guess she was still good for now. Marking her place and closing the book, she set it on her lap. The author had been a demigod? It made sense, Sophie supposed. Most famous people were demigods, like George Washington and such. Sophie had thought about J.K. Rowling as one, but she had always categorized her as the daughter of a Muse, if anything. Sophie had made a broad generalization that writing was almost an art, or creativity, but maybe not. Chiron would know. “Really?” Sophie asked, just to clarify. “Who was her godly parent? I mean, I always imagined a Muse maybe…” Oh. Well, Sophie hadn’t gone deep enough. She was going to have to go back later and reconsider all the stuff she had just assumed.

“Did she train at camp?” That would be really cool, in Sophie’s opinion. Nerdy to some, geeky to others, but the idea of being somewhere a famous author had been in interested Sophie. It was interesting, to think that J. K. Rowling might once have been sitting in the Amphitheater, maybe even thinking about writing books. Wow. Now Sophie was really getting ahead of herself. Realizing Chiron was still in front of her and Sophie had basically spaced out, she gave a sheepish smile. Looking down at the book cover, Sophie traced the letters, following the neat cursive of the book. “Did you know any other famous people?” A bit of an embarrassing question, but maybe Sophie could start her list of famous people with a similar condition as her right now. Conditions…Did J.K. Rowling have ADHD or dyslexia? Either way, she did a good job with it. Sophie started considering some different questions, her mind half on the centaur in front of her, and half on the many musings of a daughter of Athena.

((I’m sorry…horrible reply))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiron
Canon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Was that a horse?   Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:56 pm

"J.K. Rowling is the daughter of Hecate. That is why Harry Potter is all about magic. She wrote those books as a tribute to her mother. She IM-ed me when she was done and told me about it." Chiron smiled. His student had become one of the most popular writers ever.. And Chiron could not be more proud of her.. He did read every book she wrote. Even though it is not really his favorite style, he did read them with a lot of pleasure.. The centaurs were a tribute to him, she told him. J.K. thought Chiron was the wisest non-god immortal there was. "Yes, she did train here in camp for a year.. She was not really good at combat training, but her intelligence was really high.. At that time, her mother did not claim her yet, but after writing the first Harry Potter book, she claimed her when she was home alone. Hecate was quite proud of her.", Chiron answered to her next question.

Chiron laughed when Sophie asked if he knew more famous people.. "Sophie, you talk to a famous person. Everybody in this world that knows about Hercules, knows about me.. They just think I don't exist, which is perfectly fine with me. But yes, I do know some famous people.. I also knew a lot of them. Take Parker for instance.. She is one of the greatest thiefs and famous amongst them.. Even Hermes, the god of thieves is impressed, but mr. D is her father.
And then we have got one of the most famous persons in the world, Barack Obama.. He is your older brother.. and his usual bodyguards, are all satyrs and demigods. J-Lo, Shakira, Tom Cruise and quite a lot of models are children of Aphrodite.. it fits right? And we have got Jack the Ripper.. She was a daughter of Ares.. That girl could do anything with a dagger.. She had great skill, as a daughter of Ares should, but still.. Too bad she used it for the wrong cause.. Einstein, Newton, Curie, Davinci and more scientists were also your brothers.. Billy the kid, was a kid of Ares..
All the big inventions, like the car, computers, internet, trains, machines in the industry, rockets, weapons, satalites, they all were invented by the sons and daughters of Hephaestus.. well.. your brother, the one that made the Labyrinth also made a lot inventions, but the ones I just told you were done by children of Hephaestus..
And they all trained under me, or have been here in Camp.. Believe me Sophie, I know some famous people.. But my question is..
What do you want to do with your life? With your intelligence, you can do a lot.."

((Sorry for the wait.. A lot to do, lot to reply to and... thank Parker that she reminded me of this one yesterday Razz Will pay more attention next time Wink ))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Was that a horse?   Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 am

((Done and done ^_^))

The whole thing made sense when thought through carefully, but you didn’t have to tell Sophie that. She was usually very meticulous about details, never letting them escape, and usually being the one to point them out or add them. Of course, there were times when she got flustered, or when she just stopped thinking clearly…and of course now had to be part of the latter. Sophie nodded at Chiron’s comments about J.K. Rowling. Trying to imagine for a moment a younger version of the author trying to use a sword, Sophie quickly gave up. Still odd, even after thinking about it. “So…J.K.Rowling’s interest of magic came because of her mother? Did she have an unknown attraction to it…or maybe Hecate inspired her, and later claimed her?” Those questions were really more for Sophie’s benefit, and turned from actual questions at the beginning, to trailing off at the end as Sophie considered the possibilities.

When Chiron continued, Sophie’s cheeks turned a little red at his next comment. Duh…of course Chiron was famous. Sophie really wasn’t at the top of her game today, was she? Chiron, the great trainer of heroes, and apparently slipping Sophie’s mind until he pointed it out. Yeah, Chiron trained all those big shot heroes…Sophie remembered now. “You trained Hercules…and Theseus, and Jason, and Perseus, and Achilles.” Believe it or not, Sophie was not one to take things lightly, nor let them go so fast. Even if she was just clarifying something, it had to be done right. That was the only way to do things, wasn’t it? Regardless, Chiron himself began to list names off. Most Sophie knew, such as the President and several actors and models. She wasn’t sure who Parker was, probably some other name she’d forgotten…she’d check it out later.

You’d think, being a demigod, Sophie could take any type of news calmly. Not really, it just excited or disappointed her more. Such as finding out that the President of the United States is really your older brother…yeah, that gives you stuff to think about. Then there were some classics, where you didn’t even have to guess, but was still interesting. Sophie’s eyes were probably as wide as coins right now. And the fact that they all came to Camp at one point or another…wow. This place had a lot more history now.

Sophie was about ready to nod, say she understood, and move on, but Chiron’s last question/comment made her pause. What did she want to do with her life? Most demigods never had the opportunity to think so far ahead, but obviously, life spans were getting longer. To be honest, Sophie had never really thought beyond Camp, or really beyond the year. Athena always had a plan, but unfortunately, Sophie really didn’t for this. Of course, she knew what she would like to do, but that required a high school diploma, at the least…it would take a while to become a professor, especially one at a prestigious university, like Stanford or Harvard, which is what Sophie really had in mind. “Um…when I was younger, I used to make up fake careers for my parents, since I didn’t know either of them when I was younger…The main career was being a professor, like, at a university.” Sophie didn’t really know why she was telling it with details. Just finish up. “I think it’d be really cool, but there’s really no way for me to become one at this point,” she finished shyly, mumbling the last part. Cheeks burning, she had a staring contest with the book cover, to avoid looking at Chiron. Never really told anyone that before, and unsure of what the result would be, so Sophie instead resumed tracing the letters on the cover.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chiron
Canon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Was that a horse?   Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 am

Chiron was not surprised at all.. Professor.. That was the dream of Sophie.. Become a professor.. Chiron could not see why she shouldn't.. "Dear Sophie.. Why do you think you can't become a professor? Is it because demi-gods don't become really old? Is that all? oh oh oh" Chiron shaked his head and took a step back and one forward."You never know how old you will become.. If you just stay in camp and do nothing with your dreams.. you wasted you time! Everyone in this world need education.. And look at your older brother.. Barack is the most powerful man in the mortal world right now! Let me tell you a story.."

Chiron cleared his throat.. "35 years ago, there was a young boy siting where you sit right now.. He was a brilliant student, smart, high IQ and most of all, really sharp in his mind. He was 16 years old, just like you. It was just a few months after his birthday.. Being a adult made him wonder what he would do with his life.. Society did not want a black boy to do more then just.. kiss the feet of the white people.. And he hated it.. This boy wanted to change the world.. And he thought about the perfect way to do that.. He sticked to his plan..
The boy was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, graduated from Columbia University and Harvard Law School. He worked as a civil rights attorney in Chicago and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to...... 2004. The boy represented Illinois in the United States Senate. and was inaugurated as president on January 20, 2009.
Yes, it is your brother I am talking about.. Who would have thought that his little boy from hawaii, would become president of the USA? If you would have asked anyone outside Camp if it would be possible for a black person to become president of the United States, they would have 'House for the mentally ill', for thinking it.. Look at him now! The entire world knows about him! And he did change the world.. the Western World at least..

So let me ask you again.. What are you going to do with your future?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Was that a horse?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Sophie wasn’t that surprised that Chiron wasn’t surprised, but his reaction surprised her. Maybe age was a big factor in living in the real world, but monsters worried her too. Assuming all she wanted came true, and she really was a professor, her classes could fill up with monsters in disguise…she might not last long, regardless of the fact that she wasn’t a demigod of the Big Three. Then there were certain requirements that needed to be met, a high school diploma at the very least. Then a good college, a Masters…maybe a PhD, for where she wanted to be teaching. It’d take a long time, assuming Sophie started right now. Could she finish high school if she started going now, or during her senior year? Maybe take some tests, what were they? SAT, ACT…could she get by on those?

Chiron had continued to talk, so Sophie listened to what he had to say. Glancing down at her seat for a second, she was a bit relieved not to see writing that said something like Obama was here . Listening to his story, it started to reinforce Sophie’s opinions that she could do it, it wouldn’t matter if she started late. Yeah, maybe she could do it, regardless of the fact she’d be starting way behind. Wasn’t she a daughter of Athena, the wisdom goddess? She could make it through alright. And weren’t there students who started late, and still went to college? Big task, but Sophie was a big dreamer, and had big plans for a lot of things.

Think. She had to think. Sophie had always had to downgrade her thoughts so others could understand them, but now, she had to start up her brain again. Think. If she started high school for her senior year, she could take the standardized tests with the others. Assuming she did well, she’d be right on track with everyone else, and could apply to any college she wanted. What did she want to teach? What could she teach? There was time for that later…but Sophie did have some ideas.

Time to explain her idea to Chiron, and see his thoughts on it. Sophie wasn’t sure if that was what he was looking for, but Sophie didn’t know much about the outside world. Or rather, she didn’t know much about her role in it. “If I start high school next year, would that be alright? I could take the tests and apply to some colleges…if things go right.” Honestly, a lot of things could go wrong. All you could do was plan for it, and adjust accordingly. “If I get into a good college, maybe major in something I would want to teach…that would be good, right?” Saying it out loud, Sophie felt dumber than she had in a long time. She really needed some advice on where to go from here, she felt so lost. Waiting for Chiron’s edict, Sophie continued to run certain ideas through her head, trying to organize them all into one feasible plan for the rest of her life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was that a horse?   

Back to top Go down

Was that a horse?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1