View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet
Species: Demigod
Godly parent: Athena

PostSubject: The brains and the brawn   Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:26 pm

It was time for dinner. Sophie rallied her troops-er, cabin mates, and lead them to the Mess Hall. But Sophie didn't go empty-handed. She had been working on something, and she wanted to finish it tonight, so that it'd be ready for Capture the Flag on Friday. Lately, it felt like that was all she could think about, but to her, it was just a good game to improve her skills. She was on the Ares team again, and she was sure that if she didn't have anything ready, they were gonna get mad.

So when she got her dinner, and sacrificed a bit to Athena, she prayed for a temporary burst of brain power to finish the newest strategy she had made up. She sat down at the table with the rest of her siblings, and half-paid attention to her meal. The majority of her attention was on the map of the woods before her, with markings all over it. She had a few ideas, but there were some holes in her plan, like there always were.

She finished her food, and dismissed her cabin for some extra free time. She stayed behind, and kept working on the map. She drew something on it, sighed, and erased it again. It would be so much easier with figurines, but Sophie didn't have any, and she wasn't sure if there was anybody who did. The Mess Hall was slowly emptying out, and soon there were only a few people left. Good. This way Sophie could concentrate more.

Sophie brushed some hair out of her face, and kept sketching some arrows, signifying cabin movements. She really wanted to send more people along the creek, but she'd need a whole army for it to happen. She wasn't even sure how many people were on her team.

She looked up, hoping to find someone who could help her with this. Maybe one of her half-siblings had stayed behind, or possibly an Ares kid with a slow temper. There was one kid from the Ares cabin left, and they wouldn't have been Sophie's first choice. It was the cabin leader, Clove. Sure, she was the leader, so she would most definitely have information, but she also got angry easily. Rumor spread quickly enough around camp about what Clove did when she was mad. Still, Sophie needed her, to make this work. She sighed, and stood up.

She made her way slowly to Clove's table, until she was standing right in front of her. She was a bit nervous, not just about Clove, but about being there. Generally, people stuck to their godly parent's table, and didn't move around. She wasn't even sure if this was allowed. But it was too late to back out now. Sophie sighed again, and took a seat in front of Clove, not bothering to ask for permission. You didn't have to be a child of Athena to know what Clove's answer would have been.

Sophie cleared her throat, just to get her attention. She examined the girl she was about to trust her newest plan to. Clove had dark hair, and dark eyes. Sophie had also heard that boys fell head-over-heels for her, and she could sort of see why. But she didn't pay too much attention to that. Lots to do.

"So.." Sophie began, her voice trailing off. She stood up straighter, and tried again. "I have an idea for Capture the Flag, but I need to know what I'm dealing with first," Sophie said, somewhat vaguely. She unrolled the map, and laid it out on the table. It was full of red and blue arrows, to represent both teams. Clove probably wouldn't understand it though. "But for this to work, I need some information," Sophie began. She paused, and then continued. "And some help," she finished reluctantly. She didn't like asking for help, but this wasn't going to go anywhere for her if she worked alone. She put her elbows on the table, and leaned on her arms, to look at Clove more closely. "We do have a temporary alliance, so I suggest you start speaking," Sophie advised, putting the emphasis on temporary. Ares might be a war god, but he didn't have the brains that Athena had. Sophie expected the same out of their children. She waited for Clove to respond, or punch her in the face, which seemed more likely for Clove. Still, a bit of trust was needed within teams, and Sophie was willing to temporarily trust Clove, if it meant winning. She waited on tenderhooks, on whether she should listen, or duck.

((hmm, not my favorite, hope it's ok))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clove Tyler
Daughter of Ares

Character sheet
Godly parent: Ares

PostSubject: Re: The brains and the brawn   Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:25 am

Clove had lead her cabin up to dinner, with the usual display of knives and chaos. Nobody would expect any different and Clove did need her cabin to remain a little steady. It wasn't like she needed a bunch of grumpy siblings bugging her. She had shouted quite a bit to get the bunch orderly enough to even arrive at the mess hall. Clove just loved that name, Mess hall. She'd once heard that the Dutch word 'mes' meant knife and the two were close enough for her to put them in the same box, what did that extra 'S' really matter?

Clove managed to sit them down and while they helped themselves to dinnger, Clove gathered some knives about her. She finally started her own meal, which she didn't use knives for. She ate like a savage, for several reasons. It was perfect to discourage the more feeble guys to speak to her. Clove liked her solitude. Apart from that most people kept a firm image of that crazy savage girl that will stab you for nothing at all. It was a good thing.

Clove watched as one of the younger girls in her cabin was laughing about, showing off her miniature army to the other cabin members. It irritated Clove but she just glared at the youngster. She giggles and pointed to some guy and motioned toward Clove. Clove walked up to the girl and punched one of the knives she'd gotten into the table. "Don't." She said in a low voice and left the knife, taking the army away from the girl. There was one unspoken rule in the Ares cabin. If Clove puts a knife in the table, nobody but Clove gets to remove it. If you didn't follow the rule, the knife would be in you.

Her siblings finished dinner in a hurry, where Clove just took her time, although not to use her table manners. She had a rather serious lack of those. She waited patiently for all her siblings to run off so she could eat in peace and they were gone rather quickly. Clove was happy and started eating her meal in peace. She was interrupted by the girl from the Athena cabin, Sophie. She ignored the girl, or so it seemed but in truth she did listen to her.She just kept eating while the girl talked, it wasn't like she had anything to say. Clove looked at the map, stuffing another piiece of chicken into her mouth.

It was a detailed map with a lot of red and blue arrows and Clove already got a headache. This just wasn't made for her, rush in and chop everybody in your path up was as good a strategy as any. She looked the maps and placed the same battle in the city, wheree she felt safer. It played out in front of her eyes while she twirled a knife around in her hand. By the time she had found the biggest weak spot, the Athenian had told her to speak. Clove, irritated decided to point the weakness out, the Ares way. With a very fast movement she drove the knife into the table through the map. She leaned back satisfied. "There is your weak point. Now, was there anything else you needed me to point out? I have plenty of knives left." She asked. Clove picked up a strawberry from her plate and threw it in her mouth. That was just perfect, now she was ready for a strategy session supreme. She grinned at the Athenian girl and waited for her to talk.

((Sorry for the shortness. I had a paragraph or two more but I lost them and my muse with them))

I made the banner for the gang. Clove speaks in White.
The first siggie was made by Hades on HBH, isn't he just epic???
The anitar was made by Bonnie @ HBH!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The brains and the brawn   Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Clove irritated Sophie, for a few reasons. She kept eating as Sophie spoke, and seemed like she wasn't paying attention. Then she had the nerve to stick a knife in the map Sophie had worked on for a long time...Well, it was enough to make anybody angry. But Sophie looked at the spot, and she was frustrated to find that Clove was right. There wasn't enough people there to cover the area...and Sophie should have known that. She wanted to bang her head on the table, but she managed to keep her cool. At least, until Clove spoke.

"There is your weak point. Now, was there anything else you needed me to point out? I have plenty of knives left," Clove said, somewhat smugly. Sophie frowned. She needed to say something to wipe that smirk off Clove's face. But luckily, Athena always has a plan.

"Yeah, I'd like to point out that you need me to win," Sophie said, letting a bit of her anger enter her tone. She paused, to let that sink in, before continuing. Clove probably didn't believe her, but that was about to change. "You think the Ares cabin could plan something like this, or maybe the Apollo cabin? You think the Hermes cabin would know where to run? Well, you're wrong. The Ares cabin is great at hacking and slashing, but you need someone to tell you where to stab," Sophie retorted. She needed to make a point.

"Do you think the armies of the world just march wherever? No, the scientists are there, telling them where. War is a game of strategy, not strength. Anybody can win if you know how...And you need me to know how," Sophie stated again. But she wasn't done. "Otherwise, you're just a bomb, waiting for someone to detonate you...You don't do damage until someone tells you to... A war can be won before it's ever fought," Sophie finished. Just to prove her point, and irritate Clove a bit, she pulled the knife right out of the table, fingered it for a second, then threw it back across, so it clattered on the table. She brushed off the map, and dared Clove with her gaze to do something about it.

"I intend to win...regardless of your intentions," Sophie said boldly. She was really pushing her boundries, and she'd never done anything so rash before. But she had made her point. Clove needed her, however much she'd like to deny it, and Sophie intended to use that to her advantage. But she couldn't stop here, otherwise this would be an incredible waste of her time.

"So, with that said, why don't you actually do something useful, and help me win...instead of letting me do it for you...like a mother does for her helpless kids," Sophie finished, with a smirk on her face. Who's laughing now?

((hmmm, mine is pretty short too, sorry))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clove Tyler
Daughter of Ares

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The brains and the brawn   Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Clove listened to the girl without displaying a single emotion. That was the good part. The girl was being rude and searching a fight like only Ares kids usually did. Clove had gotten resistant to it, although she usually snapped back for the fun of it. This girl, however, was anything but immune to the Ares charm. Clove just smiled at the girl, her newspaper grin of the evil eleven year old girl that almost killed her darling mother. She decided to throw some nice comments in the annoy the girl a little more. "Well we know perfectly well where to stab darling. I could prove it if you'd like?" She offered with that same characteristic smile.

Clove had to hold in some laughter when she mentioned armies needed directions. "Sophie dear. Don't you understand? The reason the Ares cabin wins without all those silly strategies of yours is our ability to improvise. You think your plans are so perfect? Every plan can be useless if the enemies does things you didn't anticipate. You use your brains to win because you don't have the strenght. We use our strenght to win and don't need our brains. I can appreciate some strategy but there is more to war than planning, little grashopper." She said with a lazy drawl. Clove picked the knife up and inpected it. "Not even a minor scratch. They do have proper cutlery here." She said in mock amazement, shooting a smile at Sophie.

Clove just shrugged when Sophie claimed any war could be fought by planning. "Well say that's true, why not just send each other the final drafts of the strategy and decide who wins on that? It also depends on the army you have. No strategy in the world would make the Aphrodite cabin defeat the Ares cabin without help from others. It's not just strategy little grashopper, it's people too, or all wars could be fought on paper only. You Athenians need the Ares cabin for this battle. I suggest you don't try to start a fight with me since you've got a hole in your plans already." She said, pointing the tip of the knife at the hole she'd just created.

When Sophie finished her story, finally Clove would add, Clove just laughed loudly and slightly insane. Sophie was hardly anything like a mother. She was probably about as old as Clove was and that simply meant that Clove could not see her as a mother to herself. "My intentions are to have fun and cut people to pieces. You intention is to win. Now those two might just be able to work together. And just for the record, eating is very useful. You wouldn't do any good on a battle field if you aren't fed. All you'll be is weak and distracted by the hunger. I prefer finishing my meals for that reason." She said, slowly putting another piece of chicken in her mouth.

Just to try and see how easily she could step on the toes of the girl she took out a knife and started sharpening it. Most people hated the sound with a passion, as it wasn't the most pleasant sound in the world. She sat back, relaxed and looked at the other girl. "So, what's next little grashopper? Want to talk strategy or try it out?" She said, motioning to the little confiscated army on the table.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The brains and the brawn   Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Clove had a comment for everything Sophie said. Thankfully, Sophie wasn't stupid enough to think that she'd have the last word on anything. Clove should know that she wouldn't either. Sophie raised an eyebrow when Clove asked that question. Was that a threat? she asked herself. She didn't even need to ask, she knew what the answer was. Then Clove went on about improvising, and Sophie bit her lip, trying not to laugh. The Ares kids were as creative as the silverware, which Clove also pointed out. She decided to speak, before Clove dug herself into another hole.

"Oh, you can improvise? I have no doubt about that." Sophie leaned forward, and her voice dropped. "But when you're alone, and weaponless, when you're enemies have surrounded you." Sophie paused, and leaned back. "It's nice to have a plan," she finished.

She also had no doubt in her mind that the Athena cabin did not need Ares for them to win. "Well, when it comes down to it, brain over brawn," Sophie replied. "Even strength has to bow to wisdom sometimes," Sophie continued. She really wanted to say ugly thugs instead of strength, but she didn't need to insult Clove. At least, any more than she may have already. It also irked her that Clove called her 'little grasshopper'. Sophie might be small, but she was smart. And when it mattered, Sophie only needed her brain to fight and escape. Anything else was just a bonus.

"Who says you can't have both?" Sophie said with a smirk. It was true, Athena was a bit more refined, but when it boiled down to it, Sophie was willing to do almost anything to win. As long as her opponent didn't die, she found no problem with the situation. "And you don't need to eat like a wild animal to be strong," Sophie added, before she could shut her big mouth. She didn't react to that, and hopefully Clove wouldn't consider it an insult worth noticing.

Sophie clenched her fists when Clove challenged her, motioning to the little figurines on the table, calling her that name again. Clove was sharpening her knife, and while the sound didn't bother Sophie, it didn't relax her either. Hey, Athena was a war goddess.

Sophie didn't say anything, but reached across, and picked up figurines. She set them up all over the map, so that they were positioned the way she had imagined. She felt like this was a game of chess. Fortunately, Sophie never lost a game. "I hope you're hungry. You're about to taste defeat," Sophie told her. She didn't wait for an answer, and began moving the little blue soldiers across. She didn't give Clove a chance to respond, she just kept moving them around, knocking little red pieces off.

"All's fair in love and war...Besides, in real wars people don't get warnings," Sophie said, as she pushed some soldiers along what would be the creek. She kept moving the soldiers around, and gave Clove a smile. "Now, I'd move these soldiers, or your flag's exposed," Sophie said sweetly. "After all," she continued.

"You wouldn't want to lose before it even started."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clove Tyler
Daughter of Ares

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The brains and the brawn   Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:25 am

Clove just laughed loudly when Sophie and her eternal love for plans came up again. "If that most unlikey situation ever pops up, I'm still quite good at tavern brawling and I'm not afraid of spilling some of my own blood. The greatest weakness of most people in combat is their fear to die. I have no such fears and so I don't really worry about little things like murder." She said, feeling rather careless. She was starting to like this girl. She was easy to offend, yes, but she wasn't easy to shut up, despite the fact she did listen to her arguments and considered them, a thing most Athenians she'd met wouldn't dare to have nightmares about.

Clove simply shrugged when Sophie talked about brains over brawn and that regular nonsense that people thinking of themselves as smart often said. "I am pretty sure you think I'm not the brightest in the bunch yet I lived on the streets since I was eleven. You Athenians overthink, we Ares kids might underthink some things but some of us are smarter than you think. Although it's a rare trait." She admitted with another loud laugh. She had the crazy past and still survived and she was sure that it wasn't because people considered her to be strong only. There were plenty of people who had tried to take down her gang and they hadn't ever succeded. That did say something about Clove and her ability to outsmart strategies of some people, although she suspected Sophie could do a fair bit of damage more, if she had a proper army.

"You know what, little grashopper? If you give me a good strategy, I'll make sure my cabin actually follows it. Let's show the other campers that nothing can beat two war gods working together." She offered and she thought it was the best idea so far. They could sit around throwing insults but that didn't really benefit either cabin. They both had a fair amount to gain by winning, even more so when they both did. Her siblings would hate following rules but Clove had no doubts she could get them in order.

Clove shrugged again. "I never learned table manners. My mom gave me only one knife for dinner and I'd usually throw it at her before the first five minutes were over. I resorted to forks and spoons after that so I usually just ate my meals with my hands." Clove said carelessly. Who needed table manners anyway? It didn't help you to survive, only to keep your hands clean and you'd get them dirty on other things. Not much use in bothering with silverware as long as you had functional teeth and hands. That was what you needed for eating, the cutlerly was just an added bonus.

"Not really hungry, I just ate." Clove said casually and watched the daughter of Atena play with the miniatures. She did have a brain for that sort of thing, Clove had to admit. Yet she still saw some weak points. "And just so you know, I am on your team this time. I want to be the losing party on this strategy game, it'll make us the winner on the actual games." Clove said, staring at the map. She moved some pieces around, putting a few more defenders on the flank and sending some smaller groups into the weaker points in the defense she had. Clove wasn't competative for strategies, duals were far better for that in her mind. She'd beat people at physical things and leave the thinking to Sophie and her sort. She frowned and moved a larger party to a flank with heavy guard. With them distracted she might get one of the smaller parties through the defense line.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sophie Rainde
Daughter of Athena

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: The brains and the brawn   Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Clove must find Sophie hilarious. She kept laughing at her comments, probably on how Sophie kept referring to the same things over and over again. But Sophie had learned that when you make a point, you need to stick with it, and reinforce it, or it lost credibility. Sophie had made her points, and she was going to stick with them, unless better points came up.

Sophie knew Clove was smart, just in a different way. "I have no doubt whatsoever you're smart, just in a different way than I am," Sophie told her. She believed that. Clove had street smarts, she knew what to do to survive. Sophie had a different kind. She knew how to beat your opponent, and how to mess with them without causing any damage. These two things together would make a tough opponent, and apparently, Clove knew that, because she recruited the Athena cabin.

Sophie agreed with Clove. She wanted to show the other cabins that Athena paired with anybody else would be, well, unstoppable. It would definitely help her reputation, and besides, Clove did have a good point. Two war gods together would definitely be a good combanation. They had proved that before, a few times, when they'd been on the same team. But this was going to seal the deal. She also wanted to see if her strategies would work on anybody, in any situation. Sophie knew that her plans worked, but it was nice to have confirmation, and to prove it to everyone else.

Sophie gave a small shiver at Clove's comment about the knife, but she tried to hide it, by continuing to move her soldiers. Apparently, Clove wasn't a total loss, she knew enough to at least make Sophie think about her next move. It seemed that Clove was going for a distraction, they way she split her army. Sophie wasn't quite sure how to handle that, but she'd figure this out.

As Sophie looked at what Clove was doing, she remembered something. A good chess player thought one move a head, but a great chess player would plan the whole game out. Sophie could see about a hundred different things she could do to combat Clove, but those were all short term victories. She needed to win the war, not the battle. She came up with a plan, one that would probably involve a lot of casualites, but would win. But there were always sacrifices to be made in war, and deaths were going to happen. The best you could do to avenge those deaths was win, which was exactly what Sophie had in mind.

Sophie left a few of her soldiers to "guard" the flag, but split the rest into two large groups. One she sent to fight Clove's giant army, to at least keep them busy. If they were fighting, they couldn't stop her other soldiers. She sent the other giant pack straight towards the flag, where Clove had spread her forces too thin. Small forces were nice, and Clove had good protection for her flag. However, the smaller you make your groups, the harder it is to fight bigger ones. Sophie sent the whole wedge towards the flag. Her hope now was to overwhelm Clove's troops, and get the flag back before she could retaliate. There would be heavy casualites, but at least Sophie would have gotten the flag.

Sophie set this plan in motion, and pushed them along the map. She made them swerve to avoid the hole in the paper, and hoped Clove thought that was on purpose. She knocked the soldiers out easily, like planned, but bit her lip when she saw the path she'd have to take the flag back to. How was she going to do this?

Well, at least she had gotten the flag. That was a start. She wasn't paying attention to her own, so she wasn't sure how Clove was doing on capturing Sophie's, but she kept her eyes on her soldiers with the little red banner in the middle of the group. She couldn't just march through, that wouldn't be a good idea. She couldn't split them either, that would leave the flag virtually unprotected, except for one little soldier carrying it. Sophie ran her fingers through her hair, a but annoyed, and tried to figure this out. Hopefully she'd make it before Clove did. Her eyes darted across the map, trying to figure out how to deliver the flag to the base.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The brains and the brawn   

Back to top Go down

The brains and the brawn
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1